Background (originally posted summer 2017)
At the end of the outlet on the north end of David Pond, a dam has been in place since the early 19th century when several mills were located near Sandy River Road. When these water powered mills became inactive in the early 20th century, remnants of the structures that were in place started to decay. Local residents repaired the dam structure at the outlet to maintain the water level that had existed since 1805. The continual restoration of the dam has been a tradition up to the present time.
Over the course of the last few years, the water flow has been disturbed on repeated occasions by vandalism. A beaver dam was destroyed, and other materials (rocks and wood) were removed. These illegal acts caused water to rush out of David Pond, and so local residents made repairs to the dam structure in order to stop the drastic water level change that was occurring. This cycle of destruction and restoration happened several times.